St Nicks begin league with hard fought win – Report

St Nicks ran out 11 point winners in the end.

St Nick’s made their delayed start to the 2018 league season against local rivals Western Gaels on Sunday, determined to start the season with a winning start. With conditions perfect for football St Nick’s were focused on starting as they meant to go on, St Nick’s did just that from the throw in as they went two points up early on through scores from Kevin Stankard and marquee signing over the winter, Mark Duffy. Both players kicking excellent points off the right from 30 yards.

Then with about 10 minutes played, Brian Flynn opened his goal scoring account for St Nicks. Working the ball through the hands, the Nicks’s players created space well to give Brian his chance and he made no mistake when one on one despite the keeper’s best efforts.  St Nicks couldn’t have asked for a better start but despite this, Western Gaels came back into the game using route one football, lumping the ball into their forward division at the earliest possible opportunity. This paid off somewhat for them as they tacked on a couple of points of their own.

St Nicks replied with points from debutants Mark Duffy and Cricky, who was doing excellent work in keeping the ball moving to other forwards as well. Western Gaels continued with their tactic of getting the ball in early and this paid off when they scored their first goal from a breaking ball. As the ball broke to a Gaels player, Connolly Jarret came out and made himself as big as possible, but unfortunately left a gap between his legs for the ball to go through. Both teams exchanged points before the referee’s half time whistle to leave St Nick’s a few points up at the break. Regardless of this, St Nick’s were feeling disappointed at the break, as in spite of dominating most of the play, their opponents were still in touch. St Nick’s knew they would have to up their work rate and intensity I they were to start their year off with a win.



St Nicks GAA Bristol Gaelic football Bristol

St Nicks GAA Bristol team vs Western Gaels

St Nick’s started the second half in much the same way as they started the first, tacking on a couple of points from Stank and Duffy after some trojan work from the likes of Sean McCarthy and Bryan Flynn who was making endless runs and then bringing his teammates into play excellently. At this stage St Nicks were looking to drive on but the Gaels just about kept in touch with a couple of points from long distance, which is where most of their shots were coming from thanks to tremendous work from all the defensive division who were being well marshalled by Nigel Farrelly in an unfamiliar sweeper role. After about 45 minutes St Nick’s really started to add points and this time they were not being answered by their Bristol counterparts. Kevin Stankard was showing well time and time again and showing that on his day he can be as good as anyone, swinging over some lovely points.

Mark Duffy was proving a nuisance for the opposition defence, being able to turn onto his left or right and shoot to good reward. Bryn Flynn was always giving an option inside and he was able to add another point to his early first half goal. St Nick’s were at this stage refusing to let Western Gaels out of their own half thanks to some trojan work from Tim O’Loughlin and John Lyttle in the middle of the park. Our midfield partnership were ably assisted by a hard running half backline, with B Burn in particular making lung bursting runs to support play whenever given the chance. All of this pressure proved fruitful when St Nicks got a 45 after 50 minutes, Stank was only able to put the ball in on top of the goalkeeper. The Western Gaels goalkeeper must have thought he did enough to palm the ball to safety, but he didn’t reckon on Mark Duffy leaping 12 feet in the air to punch the ball to the net.

St Nick’s were now well and truly in the ascendancy and started to introduce substitutes to the field of play. When Western Gaels were able to break out of their own half they persevered the route one tactic, and were duly rewarded with a goal from a deft finish, fortuned by the charitable nature of St Nick’s goalkeeper, Connelly Jarrat. Western Gaels added to this score with a long range point but they were unable to reel in the St Nicks lead with the full back line not allowing another sniff of goal. At the other end of the field St Nicks continued to add scores through fringe player Ciaran Barrett. A 3rd goal was added through the Nick’s account when Brian Flynn proved that hard work really does pay off. As the keeper was trying to pick out a pass, Brian afforded him no easy route blocking down his clearance and sealing his man of the match display with his second goal. St Nick’s added on two more points, one through the tireless B Burn who swung over a point from an acute angle on the right hand side and another from centre forward Cricky leaving the final score line St Nick’s 3-15 Western Gaels 2-7.

A good competitive start to the season for St Nicks and one which they can surely build upon for the rest of the season.

By Richard Murphy


St Nicks enjoy Mitchel’s challenge in Gloucester – Report

St Nicks enjoy Mitchel’s challenge in Gloucester

Saint Nick’s overcame a stern challenge on Sunday from the John Mitchel’s club Warwickshire.  The Birmingham outfit are currently 3 from 4 in division 1 in Warwickshire & the result give Saint Nick’s a real boost going into the local derby match this coming weekend.

Unfortunately local league fixtures were cancelled due to waterlogged pitches but with both teams keen for a fixture, a 4G surface was soon sourced in Gloucester for a 13 a side game.  saint Nick’s travelled strong with an 18man squad.

Saint Nick’s won on a scoreline of 2-12 to 1-14.  Both teams were battling well & the game could really have went either way but credit to Saint Nick’s who showed great resolve to do enough to see the game out.

The early stages clearly showed which team had games under their belt, with the pacey Mitchel’s forwards racing them into a 1-1 to no score lead.

Nick’s soon responded with a Brian Flynn goal & this helped ease them into the game.  Further points from Sean McCarthy on the right & one from G Duggan on the turn were added.

Overall Mitchel’s were looking sharper but Saint Nicks worked tirelessly to keep themselves in the game.  Mitchel’s were 2 points clear & Nicks had wasted a an opportunity or two, which we’ll put down to rusty decision making.

Kevin Stankard & G Duggan made some good runs & space but moves weren’t coming off until Stankard leapt like a salmon & plucked a kickout before doing the usual shimmy & swinging over a lovely point.  This galvanised St Nick’s & a further 2points from Kevin & 1 from James McShea after a break from Ciaran brought Saint Nick’s in at half time with a two point lead, having played with the wind.

Saint Nick’s handling & decision making improved the game & Warwickshire lifted themselves to find another gear.  Some excellent left footed scores from Garvan no. 26 from Roscommon & similarly from the number 3 off the right put Mitchel’s back in the lead.  A fine Timmy O Loughlin point kept Nick’s in touch.

Saint Nick’s made use of the bench & John Moran, Ciaran, Brendan, Conor, Michael Tif & Shaughnessy all made debuts.  The Saint Nick’s half back line of JP, Ciaran & Brendan worked tirelessly in attack & defence & the two Paddy’s & Connolly deserve a mention for keeping a sharp forward line to only the one goal.

Debutant Conor made a fine break from defence, which thankfully won a penalty as he was hauled down.  A confidently placed Tim O’ Loughlin penalty regained the lead with about 10minutes left & Saint Nick’s then found another gear to tag on further free’s & keep Mitchel’s at bay.

Special mention to the multitalented Michael for refereeing the first half & putting in a tremendous “tackle” or two in the second half.


This results sets Nick’s up well for their opening league encounter & will hopefully stand to Mitchel’s in their next game as well.  St Nick’s will take a lot from the game, including a few pointers for improvement to work on this week.

Saint Nick’s scorers@ K. stankard 0-5, T O’ Loughlin 1-3, S McCarthy 0-2, G Duggan 0-1, J McShea 0-1 B Flynn 1-0

By James McShea

Club Notes – 16th April 2018

St Nicks GAA Club Notes.

FANTASTIC Run out for our men’s GAA team on Sunday at the brand new 4G at Oxstalls Sports Park. In place of our cancelled League game it was a very close encounter vs an impressive John Mitchel’s. In the end we ran out winners on a score line of 2-12 to 1-14. Big Thanks to John Mitchel’s for travelling down from Birmingham.

Gealic Football Bristol

Team vs John Mitchel’s

We will be training Tuesday 7pm at St Marys Old Boys RFC, BS36 1RY. Also training on Thursday 7:30pm on the 4G in Lockleaze sports centre, BS7 9XF. New players of all abilities welcome to come along!!

We have our First League outing this Sunday (22nd of April) vs Western Gaels in St Marys Old Boys RFC, BS36 1RY, Throw in time is 1pm. Please come down and support the lads!

Please follow our Social Media pages to keep up to date with news – Links below